Fortran is a high-level, general-purpose, imperative and compiled programming language based on most recent version. This programming language specially used in numeric and scientific computations. Fortran is a very early developed language that was first appeared in 1956 and developed by IBM to program its computers. In this series of Fortran tutorial, we will cover the most basic syntax to advanced programming concepts with lots of example and practice program. Before start, we will learn a Lil bit more about Fortran and its background.
Fortran Features and Versions
I said before, Fortran is repeatedly used in the numeric computation. Basically the name FORTRAN also came from a numeric term, which is Formula translation. However, Fortran introduced to work with character data in the later versions. Not only character processing, but FORTRAN added a lot of features in the most recent versions. Those made this as a high-level language.
In this section, we will try to review the most common and useful features of Fortran. introduced in different versions.
Fortran was a very-low label programming language in the initial stage of development. But many attractive features have been added in later versions such as:
- In the version of Fortran 77, the structured programming paradigm with character processing features was added.
- Most of the high-level features were added in FORTRAN 90 including, array programming, generic programming, modular programming, etc.
- Fortran was refined for high-performance computing. And this version was a stable version and still now this version is being used by many.
- In 2003, Fortran started support for object-oriented programming style.
- Moreover, the recent version of Fortran added parallel computing and concurrent programming style.
Uses of Fortran
As already said, Fortran is mainly used in numeric computations. But it also can be used in a vast field of technologies. Some of them are:
- Many kinds of scientific analysis
- Computational Chemistry
- Computational Physics
- Fluid Dynamics
- Finite element analysis, etc.
In this FORTRAN tutorial, we will learn the basic elements and syntax of Fortran like basic algorithm, program structures, conditional statements, loops, functions, array, etc. So enough intro..! From the next tutorial, we will start the basics of Fortran, then we will dive into advanced programming concepts later on.