Introduction – What is C++?
C++ is a compiled, general-purpose, statically typed, multi-paradigm, object-oriented programming language developed by Bjarne Stroustrup in 1979. It is extended version of C programming language. It is considered as a mid-level programming language since C++ implemented with a combination of low-level and high-level programming language. C++ is actually a superset of C. That’s mean a program written in C can be compiled with C++ Compiler.
At first C++ appeared as C with Classes in 1985. Later it was renamed with C++. The first standard version of C++ was C++98. After many releases currently, most recent C++ version is C++17
Why Should You Learn C++?
First of all, C++ is a very popular Object-oriented programming language implemented by hundred of thousand programmers. If you want to be a better programmer then learning C++ will give you much more understanding about computer internal architecture because it is mid-level and system programming language.
Lots of open source code and resources available on GitHub and StackOverflow. It really helps to explore the C++ actually. Exploring them wisely can help you to be an expert.
Learning C++ helps to get a better job easily. To join in the most advanced company C/C++ is a required language. Nearly 10K job posted every month on C++.
Features of C++
- Object Orientation: One of the great features of C++ is Object Orientation or Class based. The object-oriented features consist of
Abstraction, Polymorphism, Inheritance, Encapsulation that really makes the language powerful enough.
- The ANSI Standard: It ensures that C++ is portable that’s mean if you write C++ source code on Microsoft Windows compiler then compile it, the compiled code can be run on MacOS or Unix without any errors.
- Multi-Paradigm: C++ is a multi-paradigm language. You can write the source code with at least 5 styles. Computer programmers use any one of them depending on their project. You can your own style that fit for your project.
- Standard Library: C has a powerful standard library for performing many kinds of tasks including data types, variables, and literals. For object orientation class library, moreover, function, string, file, networking, access, security, and many more libraries made the language really powerful.
Uses of C++
The uses of C++ is really very extensive. It is mainly used for system development. Because C++ can be implemented directly with machine internal system and hardware since it is a mid-level language. But it also used in software development for developing interactive programs like Adobe Photoshop. The main uses of C++ are:
- System development like Operating System
- Device software like driver package.
- Firmware for embedded devices
- Networking application
- Web application development etc.
About this C++ Tutorial Series
This series of C++ Tutorial actually designed for absolute beginners. But it also describes the advanced concept of C++. You don’t need to know any other programming language before starting learning C++. But if you know one, It will help you to catch easily.